A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF VALDEZ,
ALASKA, AUTHORIZING A LEASE AMENDMENT WITH THE VALDEZ
MOTOR SPORTS CLUB FOR A 52.3-ACRE PORTION OF USS 439
WHEREAS, the City of Valdez is the owner of USS 439; and
WHEREAS, the City entered into a Land Use Permit (LUP) with the Valdez Motor Sports Club dated July 15, 2000, for a 10-acre portion of USS 439 (Pipeyard); and
WHEREAS, the City of Valdez approved four, five-year extensions to this LUP with amendments 1, 2, 3, and 4; and
WHEREAS, Amendment No. 4 to the LUP expired July 14, 2018 and the LUP was not renewed; and
WHEREAS, the Valdez Motor Sports Club wished to continue to use this 10-acre portion of USS 439 (Pipeyard) to operate and maintain a motor sports staging area and has applied to lease the same 10-acre portion and was granted this lease in January 2020; and
WHEREAS, the Valdez Motor Sports Club wishes to expand their lease area, extend their lease term, amend their insurance requirements, and allow for additional uses on the property, and submitted application to do so; and
WHEREAS, on November 15, 2021 the Ports and Harbors Commission voted in favor of a recommendation to approve this lease amendment application; and
WHEREAS, on November 10, 2021 the Planning and Zoning Commission voted in favor of a recommendation to approve this lease amendment application.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF VALDEZ, ALASKA, that:
Section 1. The City Council of the City of Valdez, Alaska authorizes an amendment to a lease with the Valdez Motor Sports Club, Inc. and authorizes the City Manager or their designee to negotiate said lease.
Section 2. The term of this lease shall be extended for five additional years, expiring 2028.
Section 3. The use of the lease shall be for staging for motor sports activities, specific structures and uses permitted to be maintained on this property are the following:
• Continuous staging area for the search and rescue trailer with year-round power and access.
• Storage for club event equipment conex and timing shack trailer.
• Permission to obtain or construct a club house for future meetings, training, and events, pending funding availability.
• Permission to obtain or construct covered storage to protect club trailers and equipment from elements, pending funding availability.
• Permission to erect permanent signage visible from the Richardson highway advertising club activities, opportunities, and events.
• Permission to place viewing stands or bleachers temporary or permanent for spectator use.
• Permission to place restrooms, temporary or permanent.
• Permission to place signage for proper facility access and use.
• Permission to build a snow cross track for the winter.
• Continued staging and start/finish area for cross country races (Mayor’s Cup).
• Permission to build and maintain various motorsports track’s MX, SxS, mud pit, circle tracks or other features that benefit the club, community, and motorsports. These efforts will be volunteer driven and reflective of the interest and desire of the community.
• Permission to bring in temporary stands or food trucks during events.
Section 4. There shall be no annual rental fee associated with this lease.
Section 5. The lease shall be required to hold event liability insurance prior to any scheduled event on the property.
Section 6. In conformance with Valdez Municipal Code Section 4.08.160 this lease shall not become effective until public notice has been given for at least thirty days.
This resolution shall be posted twice in a newspaper in the city and shall be postedon the official city bulletin board and two other public places in the city for thirtydays prior to the effective date of the lease.