logo-3

Tony Clark stepping down as MLBPA executive director amid federal probes and looming labor fight

WASHINGTON^ DC APRIL 11: Former Major League Baseball Player Tony Clark attends a luncheon at the National Press Club^ April 11^ 2012 in Washington^ DC

Tony Clark resigned Tuesday as executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, bringing an abrupt end to his 12-year tenure just months before the sport’s collective bargaining agreement expires on Dec. 1. Clark, 53, had been set to begin his annual spring tour of all 30 training camps Tuesday, but his first scheduled stop — with the Cleveland Guardians — was suddenly canceled. A formal statement is expected soon.

Clark, a 15-year major league veteran who became the first former player to lead the union after succeeding the late Michael Weiner in 2013, oversaw two collective bargaining agreements and secured the inclusion of minor league players in the union. He received a five-year contract extension following negotiations during the 2022 lockout.

The Athletic reported that Clark and the union have been under federal scrutiny from the Eastern District of New York since last year. Investigators are examining the financial operations of OneTeam Partners, a licensing company formed jointly by the MLBPA and the NFL players union. Authorities are reportedly looking into whether union leaders benefited personally from the venture. In addition, Players Way — a youth baseball venture owned by the union — is also being investigated for alleged financial misconduct. The MLBPA is said to have invested $3.9 million into the company, which reportedly held few live events while executives and consultants collected six-figure salaries.

MLBPA executive subcommittee member Marcus Semien indicated the resignation appears tied to the investigations. “You definitely don’t want things to be a distraction going into December,” Semien told reporters, adding that Clark did not alert union leadership ahead of time. When asked directly whether the probes prompted the move, Semien replied, “I think so.” Despite the circumstances, Semien voiced continued confidence in deputy director Bruce Meyer, the union’s lead negotiator.

Clark’s departure lands at a pivotal moment. The current labor agreement between players and Major League Baseball will expire in less than a year, and early signs suggest negotiations could be combative. The previous round of talks resulted in a 99-day offseason lockout.  A proposed salary cap — framed by owners as a way to promote competitive balance through payroll minimums and maximums — is expected to be the central flashpoint. The union has consistently rejected any cap structure. Other anticipated discussion points include playoff expansion and the possibility of an international draft.

Subcommittee member Brent Suter said the union plans to appoint an interim director rather than conduct an outside search, explaining the goal is to “keep everything as stable as we can this year.” Union officials are scheduled to meet to discuss next steps.

Editorial credit: Al Teich / Shutterstock.com

Loading...