Best Western Hotel fire

08/23/2017 5:00 p.m.

Valdez Fire Department responded to reports of a possible fire in a local hotel early Wednesday afternoon. At approximately 1:23 p.m. Wednesday, Valdez Fire Dispatch received reports of visible smoke in conjunction with an active fire alarm in the northwest wing of the Best Western Hotel.

Employees evacuated the entire building, including the hotel, restaurant, and bar. Emergency responders arrived on scene at approximately 1:27 p.m. and discovered an electrical fire in the boiler room, stairwell walls, and two guest rooms at the far end of the northwest wing of the hotel. Firefighters verified employees and guests were evacuated from the building and began work to extinguish the fire.

At approximately 2:28 p.m., Fire Department personnel deemed the fire extinguished and began overhaul efforts. The building may be reoccupied once power to the damaged area is isolated by hotel contractors. Best Western staff are working to provide support to those hotel guests temporarily displaced by the fire. No injuries were reported. The incident remains under investigation.

Posted August 23, 2017 Allie Ferko, Public Information Officer City of Valdez, Alaska